Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Type of Crates

Hi,

There are a few types of crates available in the market and it depends on what are your intentions when you buy a crate for your puppy or dog.

I have used a few crates for my 2 dogs and I, currently, have 3 plastic crates and one foldable metallic crate.


This is a plastic crate that can be open into 2 halves and has a gate to keep the dog inside, if necessary. This is the most common and highly recommended crate that I would recommend you to buy.








This is the most recent crate I bought for Ruby to replace an old one but both Jack and Ruby share it during the day.








Though it may looks a bit small for Jack but he likes it.....more cosy....?



This is the crate that I first bought when Jack was a puppy and it has worn out a bit but I used some strong tape to keep it together. It is used by Ruby to sleep at the back of the house at night. Jack used to share it too during the day.




























It is important that the dog can sit up inside the crate though they usually lie down or sleep in it most of the time. I am surprised to see that Jack can go inside this crate and then make a u-turn to position himself for a cosy curl up.


I saw a huge used dog house in a pet shop ( brought in by an expatriate but leaving the country then ) and bought it for Jack, thinking that he would like the more space.





This dog house does not have a gate to keep the dog in but I would turn it around such that the opening face the wall to keep Jack in , if necessary. There are ventilation holes at the sides. Surprisingly, Jack feels that it is a bit too spacious and not cosy enough so it is under utilised!

While big or giving them sufficient space is good but too much of it does not make it a cosy den for the dog.

Lastly, I found this open and foldable metallic crate very useful for Ruby. She goes in there for her meals so that she can eat in comfort and not worry about Jack eyeing her food.


When I have visitors and they are not comfortable with my dogs, I also put Ruby inside this metallic crate. Somehow Ruby loves it and goes in happily, see my video on it in my coming posting.




Ruby just has her bathe and was put inside the crate under the sun to dry her up. This very flexible as it can be folded and easily carried around the house. It is airy and you can see each other very well. This is also a good option for indoors but you will have to make sure it does not move too much when the dog gets excited and jump up on to the metallic rails as it can collapse and injure it.

David

2 comments:

  1. Hi David, chanced upon your blog which I find interesting and informative. I am about to have a 9 week old poodle pup and am not sure about the size of crate I should get. My ideal one should be big enough to house a pee tray (which i read, should take up 50% of the space) and another 25% for bed and balance area for play. However , will my potty training efforts be successful cos will the pup pee/poo on one side of his 'house' n sleep on the other side?? However this is he what method that works well for me. I would appreciate your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Congrats on your poodle pup.

    Basicaly, the crate is a place for the dog to feel comfortable and secure.

    So I am not too sure about having a pee tray and enough room for play.

    I would ensure that the crate is slightly bigger than the dog but if you intend to put it inside the crate for half a day when you are out or working then a bigger crate may be useful.

    I do not crate Jack and it is open for him to move in as and when he wants to; for his rest or sleep or when there is something like thunder that frighten him.

    I used to put Ruby in the crate at night only for a short period as she barks too much at night and my neighbours comaplined about her.

    The dog should be let out of the crate to play and pee so this is how you can train your dog.

    WHatever method you use, be patient and if it does not work then change it a bit and talk to other dog owners to learn from them.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete